Monday, October 20, 2008

OMH! Macaroni and Cheese

That is OMH for Oh My Heavens! I made this last week and it was incredible. It seriously filled some sort of cheese void I must have been happening in my life because I felt like Remy from Ratatouille with the whole lightening-y flavor. I don't know if anyone liked it as much as me, but I didn't care. I thought it was fabulous. I have never seen shredded smoked Gouda before, but I found it at my local Sprouts and I think I am in love. David didn't care for it, but I was in cheese heaven. I took a basic recipe from allrecipes.com and added to it.

OMH! Macaroni and Cheese

1 lb. ground beef
2 red peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

1 lb. macaroni
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I used regular)
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I used several kinds of cheese: Smoked American Gouda,
Cheddar and White Cheddar... this is what makes the dish)
1+ tbsp dried parsley (I love my herbs. You can use more or less. I like more.)
1+ tbsp dried basil

1 cup dry bread crumbs (I just sprinkle the bread crumbs on top without adding the butter)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Brown ground beef in non-stick pan on medium heat. Add chopped peppers and onions. Drain oil and set aside.
  3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
  4. In a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly; stirring occasionally. Mix in milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper, herbs, and mustard. Continue cooking until sauce is thickened. Add cooked macaroni, Cheddar cheese, and ground beef mixture and mix.
  5. Pour into 2 quart casserole dish. In small bowl mix together bread crumbs, butter and parsley; spread over macaroni and cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.

No comments: