Monday, October 20, 2008

Chicken Fingers

I have never, before using this recipe, ever fried chicken. I am not a big fan and it just seemed scary. There is just something frightening about a whole pot of burning hot oil on my stove and me, being the klutz I am, hanging over it. That small part aside, my husband has been asking me for our entire marriage to make fried chicken and I, until the other day, refused. I bought some chicken tenderloins and had to figure out something to do with them. I found this recipe for Chicken Fried Chicken and decided to use it to make chicken tenders. I was impressed and so was my connoisseur. Not too bad for a fried food. I made a little honey mustard sauce using Miracle Whip (or Mayo, if you prefer), mustard, and honey.

Chicken Fingers

30 saltine crackers
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dry potato flakes
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt (this is an approximation), optional
1 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
1+ teaspoon dried herbs of choice, optional
sprinkle of paprika (I just love the color), optional

3 tablespoons flour
2 eggs
2-3 cups canola oil (I just filled the bottom of the pot about 3 inches. I have no idea how much
that is)
2 lbs. chicken tenderloin

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place crackers in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and crush crackers until they are coarse crumbs. Add flour, potato flakes, seasoned salt, garlic salt, garlic powder, herbs, and pepper to bag and mix well.
  2. Beat eggs in a shallow dish or bowl; heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
  3. One by one, dredge chicken pieces in flour, then egg, then place in bag with crumb mixture, seal bag and shake to coat.
  4. Carefully place coated chicken in hot oil. Fry until golden brown and juices run clear. Drain on paper towels.

No comments: