I want to start a cookbook for people who bargain shop or for people who only have a few staples in the cupboards. I LOVE to have full cupboards, but with moving I don't have the stocked cupboards I am used to having. This being said, I am improvising... a lot. When that happens, this recipe happens. I got the "Natural" Rice-a-Roni (not the healthiest, but it is the San Francisco treat) on sale for 88 cents and I wanted to use it. Anything could be substituted, but I happened to have these ingredients. Everyone seemed to like it. The girls even asked for seconds on the veggies. Score!
Veg-Chic-Rice
2 packages Rice-a-Roni (any flavor would work, I believe. I used Italian Parmesan)
3 c. milk (used for this specific flavor of Rice-a-Roni. You may not need it for others)
Dash of olive oil (it calls for 2 tbsp. or tsp. but I never that much and it tastes fine. You can omit it as well)
1 precooked chicken breast (can add more, again what I had), diced
1 small head of broccoli, chopped
1 large (or two small) zucchini, diced
salt and pepper to taste
herbs to taste (I used basil)
Cook rice according to package directions.
Prepare veggies and chicken. Season and steam zucchini, broccoli, and chicken (I added the chicken only to warm it. It should be precooked) in separate pot until tender or preference. When rice is ready, combine rice and veggies/chicken and stir. Serve and eat.
No comments:
Post a Comment