Saturday, August 13, 2011

Joyce's Pineapple Cake

I am not a Pineapple Upside Down Cake lover.  The sogginess of it turns me running the other direction.  To me, minus the heaviness, it's like eating fruit cake.  Not my favorite.  Anyway, my mom kept telling me about this cake and, since my father-in-law likes PUDC and was visiting for his birthday, I thought I would try this alternative.  I was very pleasantly surprised and it was wonderful.  My whole family loved it, especially Grandpa.  I am pretty sure he polished off most of the cake :)  I am happy, however.  Nothing is a bigger compliment than only being able to have one piece of something you made!

Joyce's Pineapple Cake

2 c. flour
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large can of crushed pineapple, juice and all OR 2 c. fresh pineapple.

Mix all at once.  Pour into a greased pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Top with cream cheese frosting  (recipe following) while warm.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1/4 butter, room temperature
8 oz. package of cream cheese, room temp.
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar

Mix well and put on warm cake.

**Alterations: Instead of vanilla in the frosting, I substituted coconut extract.  I also topped the cake with pan toasted coconut.  So good!!


No comments: